Project One: Background and AmbitionsDue by Sunday, February 9, 2020
You will write three to four paragraphs about your background as well as your ambitions
for this class and your career at IIT and beyond. Begin by writing this in either
simple plain text (
.md) in your
text-editor of choice. Be sure to make frequent, descriptive commits in Git as you
Once you have finished your plain-text version, use
git tag to tag it as
plain-text. You will then create a basic
structured HTML page out of your plain-text work (revision to your content is
encouraged), styled with a separate, basic stylesheet in CSS that is linked to your
HTML via the
tag. Commit this also to Git as you write.
Deliverables and Deadlines
- Due by Friday, January 31: Post draft project-repository GitHub link to Basecamp. Create a new message thread with your name and Project One, something like “Scarlet Hawk: Project One.” Include in your post a few questions for peer and instructor feedback.
- Due by Monday, February 3: Respond with helpful feedback to at least 3 other student projects on Basecamp.
- Due by Sunday, February 9: Email instructor with final project deliverables.
The email should contain:
- The https:// link to your project’s GitHub repository
- A 4-5 sentence self-critique of your project and your progress in class to this point
- All source files in UTF-8/Unicode character encoding with Unix-style line endings (LF), entabbed with spaces (two spaces per level of indent)
- Valid, well-formed HTML5 and CSS
- HTML-based fallbacks for any media elements (image, audio, video) that you include
- Organized, readable source that is hand-written and original (no WYSIWYGs or code-generators)
- A Git repository with frequent commits and meaningful commit messages that accurately reflect each set of changes that you make
- Your Git repository must contain only the files and commits from this project
- Learn to work with plain text and do basic HTML and CSS source-formatting
- Learn to name files for the web
- Learn to organize files in a Git repository
- Learn to share your work via GitHub
- Learn some basics of HTML and CSS
- Create a mobile-friendly, mobile-first design